Best way to get into retro console gaming?

All topics about retro consoles from the 2600 to the Dreamcast.

Best way to get into retro console gaming?

Postby Ruthless4u » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:42 pm

Wanting to get back to playing some of the older games of my youth, problem is seems like there are a lot of options from retro5, to raspberry pi to simply rebuying the original consoles and games. I'm not good with computers and I don't have original copies of my old games. Is there a good way to narrow down the best way to get started?
Ruthless4u
Lemming

Re: Best way to get into retro console gaming?

Postby Vyothric » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:10 pm

It really depends on what feels best for you. If authenticity is important or not. A modern multi-format system like a Retron5 is certainly going to be easier if you have a modern TV.

When I decided to start playing old games again (7 years ago now), I bought a good Sony Trinitron CRT and went through the much more awkward process of getting all the original consoles & computers. Emulation just never felt right for me. I also learnt how to solder and mod consoles to run in 60hz/RGB where necessary. Got flash cartridges (Everdrives etc.). It can be a hassle and I still don't have nearly everything that I want, but it's the only way for me! :hat:
Image Image
"He who Koops and runs away lives to Koop another day"
Vyothric
Helicopter Pilot

Re: Best way to get into retro console gaming?

Postby Ruthless4u » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:00 am

Vyothric wrote:It really depends on what feels best for you. If authenticity is important or not. A modern multi-format system like a Retron5 is certainly going to be easier if you have a modern TV.

When I decided to start playing old games again (7 years ago now), I bought a good Sony Trinitron CRT and went through the much more awkward process of getting all the original consoles & computers. Emulation just never felt right for me. I also learnt how to solder and mod consoles to run in 60hz/RGB where necessary. Got flash cartridges (Everdrives etc.). It can be a hassle and I still don't have nearly everything that I want, but it's the only way for me! :hat:

Authenticity would be nice, but maybe a bit cost prohibitive. I know nothing about emulation so that's likely out as well. My best bet I think might be something like the retro not but I worry about its quality.
Ruthless4u
Lemming

Return to Retro Console Gaming